DIY Stand-up Workstation

The physio mentioned he had helped set someone up with a sit/stand workstation because of their back issue.  So I thought this would be good to help resolve my lower back issues.

Materials & Assembly
After a weekend of hunting around for some likely coffee tables I found a seconds shelf unit (piece) at Ikea that looked like it might support a seconds table top (also from said store).  This totaled less than $30 which was better than the $200 coffee table I tried in vain to buy from another store (long story cut short: phone ahead to check stock levels).  It also beat trying to build something myself which I had considered.
Unsafe Standup Workstation
After using the setup for a couple hours it was deemed unsafe.  Table tops that jut out from benches at chest height are an accident waiting to happen. 
Sitting Configuration
Standing Configuration

I opted instead for using the shelf unit on the desk alone with a keyboard tray that could easily be retracted when I leave my area.  The monitor is placed on a riser and milk crate (that have been tied together for stability).  The desk on which it rests it braced very effectively with a telescopic table leg (from Ikea) to support the extra weight and add stability.  It is actually rock solid.  It is also worth mentioning the mini shelf unit is resting on a couple large pieces of Bluetac to prevent it slipping around.

Results
I've been using this setup for about a week and find my back has really improved.  It is tiring and I have a bar stool I can sit on if I wish.  But I find taking small rests on nearby chairs when I am thinking is adequate most of the time.  The movement throughout the day is good for preventing stiffness.  And the variation in viewing angle and distance from the monitor is also beneficial.

My standing habits are also off to a good start.  I try to balance on my hip joints with weight spread evenly on each foot.  I keep my lower back reasonably straight and avoid putting all my weight on a cocked hip which is bad for a number of reasons.  If I need to pause and think whilst working then I take a few paces around the room.

I recall another physio telling me that the ideal work environment is one with light activity...like that of a physiotherapist.  I also use to worry about the long term physiological effects of being a desk jockey.  But now I feel much better about the health risks of my occupation.

The Break Through
Perhaps the most enlightening aspect was I realized how sloppy and incorrect my lower back posture was and how untrained the muscles in that area are.  I am now more conscious of how I'm sitting and standing and I now know the correct posture for my lower back.  This is a major break through as I learned that what I thought was good posture was actually contributing to my problems.

Safety First
And one final note, be careful about bodgying up a stand-up workstation.  If it isn't 100% safe then eventually someone will get hurt and it probably won't be you.  And make sure your supervisor is comfortable with what you're doing.  Health and Safety at work is a very (very) serious matter.

Comments

Popular Posts