Learning To Be Happy

Recently I tried to fix a problem with my newly acquired bike and I found it a gloriously frustrating experience.  It seemed every time I tried to make progress I would be thwarted by some little over site.  I was also stressed about the cost because I didn't want to spend money on the bike for various reasons, and my chores around the house were being neglected.

Occasionally I would experience joy such as when I exercised my resourcefulness to find a work around for some tools I lacked.  But these were greatly out numbered by things like buying the wrong size tyre, choosing a rim that was incompatible with my bike tube.  And the ultimate, being sold the incorrect bike tube by a salesman.  To my surprise I managed to not lose my temper but I couldn't help thinking I was approaching this the wrong way.  Working on a bike should not feel like this.  Was the bike cursed?

It was then I recalled something I read in a self-help book a while ago that seemed like a great way to think about challenges that seem to repeat themselves.  It wrote that life has a way of bringing up the same lesson over and over until we learn it.

It was true.  And it wasn't referring to my repeated attempts at fixing the bike.  I've had a long history of failing to find joy in my leisure pursuits.  This was my chance to learn something.  And I think I learned the lesson.

I can't control what happens.  And I shouldn't look forward to getting things 'off my plate'.  My frustration will decrease if I accept that certain things, like complex mechanical devices, can have a mind of their own.  As such, adopting a 'let it come to me' attitude will reduce the pain even though it may also sacrifice the 'sense of urgency' that is important for yielding timely results.  Keep telling myself "I will get there...sooner or later".

Is this patience?  Is this managing expectations?  Or is it just trying to be happy?

I'm not sure.  Which tells me I'm onto something.

Comments

Popular Posts