A Motivation Vacuum

Several months ago I learned something about what motivates me.  The best way I can describe it is a 'superiority complex'.  A deep expectation that I should have higher standards and more discipline than others because I was more gifted.  It sounds arrogant but in reality it produced a sort of alienation from everyone.  And it wasn't fun.

With this revelation in hand, I also started to recognize some of my other beliefs that were not helpful.  It seems I can't ensure the success of our society by adherence to strict rules.  I can't succeed by making sure everyone plays 'fair'.  I need to participate in the 'game'.  Modern politics is not an farce.  Hard-ball business is inevitable.  And I am going to get ripped off in some exchanges.

As an illustration, yesterday I was driving home and noticed I had left my indicator on for the past kilometre or more.  I turned it off and thought 'not good'.  Then I realized I had barely looked at my dashboard for the past 15 minutes and thought 'thats exactly how someone runs out of fuel'.  Now in the past I would have berated myself quite seriously thinking I am not one of those 'morons' that run out of fuel.  But at that moment I just shrugged my shoulders and thought I could run out of fuel and I would still be the same person.  It would be a drag but I didn't feel threatened by the possibility.

On the flip side I realized I am not as motivated as I used to be.  I love watching movies; Something I always felt guilty about in the past.  It still bothers me a little that I don't apply myself adequately.  I'm hoping that my 'Motivation Vacuum' will start to dissipate and alternative, smaller sources will start having an effect.  In future I won't be as tormented although I doubt I will achieve quite as much.  Not that it matters.

Comments

Popular Posts