A New Dynasty - Android Desktop

My laptop was stolen recently.  It's not so bad though; it was 3 years old and I was insured.  But in searching for a replacement I wanted to see what Android could offer.

To cut a long story short I discovered Android and supporting hardware have progressed a great deal.  And my desire to use it as a desktop replacement is not unique or new.  Ubuntu Linux appears to run within Android.  And a desktop test of the latest phone hardware was very promising. 

I think it is inevitable that portable computing, with support from the cloud, will displace home computing.  And it appears Microsoft and Apple will not be controlling the primary computing platform.  Could I be witnessing the dawn of a new dynasty in computing?  That would be something.

Especially because I have a soft spot for Google.  I trust them.  Both ethically and technically.  Their motto is "Don't Be Evil".  And I don't see a money-grubbing business agenda woven through their technology.  They don't stall progress to preserve revenue.  In fact, they view promotion of the Internet as good for their business.  And the Internet appears to be a good direction right now.

Google aren't perfect.  And I doubt they'll remain as trustworthy in the long term.  But at least I will experience the next wave of real progress.

Comments

Popular Posts