The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

My little girl is nearly 3 years old.  I used to get upset with her for not doing the 'right thing'.  But then I learned it was kind of pointless trying to make her feel guilty.  All I can really do is keep explaining why we do one thing and not another.

In my working life as a computer programmer I try to remember why I've adopted certain practices.  I actually believe the reasons are as important as the process because without them we are mindless automatons with no chance of adapting to change, and even less chance of job satisfaction.

As I learned to not make my daughter feel guilty I started to evolve.  I started to accept some of the ugly things I see in life.  Soccer players take dives.  Politicians play a big popularity game.  Journalist manufacture stories.  The arsehole down the road can startle me by shouting as he drives by.  It doesn't mean it is OK.

Maybe I am a control freak.  Or perhaps it betrays some flawed belief of mine that we should all live with a conscience.  Either way I must accept there are ugly things in this world.  I can either dwell on them and try to hold back the tide.  Or I can accept them and instead focus on pleasant things.

Comments

Popular Posts