Apathy Begets Pragmatism

So I moved into my new house and I've started to learn a thing or two.  Not just about how to maintain a home but about myself.

My stress levels had been going up at the expenses we now incur.  So I've been greedily trying to avoid costs and find cheaper options.  Going to enormous lengths to try and save what seem like minuscule amounts.  At some point I realised I can't have everything and some priorities need to be decided.

I used to worry about leaky taps but not so much any more.  The house was nice and clean when we moved in but it is slowly getting grubbier and short of spending all my waking hours doing chores it's probably going to stay that way.  At some point apathy kicked in and I found it wasn't worth getting stressed about.  I think I may be learning to be pragmatic.

It's funny what ideals and beliefs one clings to.  In the end I value peace of mind.  I'm getting older and less agile so there are things I can't do any more.  I've learned to accept that.  The face in the mirror has more lines but they are more a curiosity than a threat to my vanity, which is waning at long last.  I can relax and do chores at the same time; I don't have to frantically get them 'off my plate' before I can relax.

I've also decided how I'm going to manage clutter.  I came up with it a while ago but didn't really need to practice it like I desperately need to now.  I'll first decide what is a sensible about of storage space.  Then once it is full I must discard the rest and deem it not worth keeping.  Naturally I plan to keep the higher priority possessions.  This creates a nice 'razor' to counter the perception of 'opportunity' in possessions I should really discard.  And honestly, all this junk can be bought second hand for peanuts at the 'op shops' or online.

Let's hope the apathy holds long enough to thin out some of my possessions.

Comments

Popular Posts