Death - 100% Natural

Last week I had an encounter with my own mortality.  I developed atrial fibrillation and had to go to hospital.  My life was not hanging by a thread but that did not stop my romantic nature and over-active imagination from getting away from me.  Especially since I'd been to two cancer funerals in the previous seven days and had plenty of time to ponder death.

As I was lying in the emergency room [ER] holding my dear wife's hand and letting the treatments play out, I was coming to grips with potential causes and outcomes.  Is there something seriously wrong and is this just the first in a long series of battles?  Is my feeling a little old lately one of the symptoms?  I really wish I'd got round to getting income insurance.  Bad things come in threes; could this possibly go so bad that I'll die?

These heavy thoughts were aptly accompanied by activity around the adjacent ER bed where an elderly woman was dying (surrounded by her extended family).  I've always wondered how I'd feel near the end.  I think I'm well prepared for it and not frightened probably on account of my faith.  That and a life insurance policy that would mitigate any financial burden for my family.

Death, I maintain, is a very natural and inevitable part of life.  As is grey hair, poor eye sight and losing ones youth.  Having a phobia about it is an unhealthy sign.

My episode concluded with my condition not responding to drugs and needing to be de-fibrillated.  Mercifully they gave me a general anaesthetic for the procedure.  I'm hoping it was caused by a virus and it won't happen again despite learning heart conditions can develop for no apparent reason (other than genes).

Comments

Popular Posts