Life - You Can't Just Skip It

My child had a birthday party the other day.  It went reasonably well but I couldn't help thinking I did not find the campaign all that enjoyable.  I wondered if, like a lot of things, I could just skip it.

Perhaps it's just an extension of being a programmer where some solutions are far simpler and easier than others.  Chief among them is finding a reason or way to avoid doing the work.  Or at least deferring it.  I've done a similar thing with having a work uniform and a crew-cut hair style.  I don't bother with barbers nor clothes shopping.  Nor ironing for that matter.

However, it seems there is a balance to be found as I've taken 'skipping it' a little too far.  The main clue is I see everything as a chore to be finished once and for all and I rarely actually enjoy anything.  I also see life as a terribly long endeavor and I groan at the thought of how much is left.  Truly a pathetic way to live.

Other things I've noticed is I have very little ambition, I'm not as 'successful' in general and my experience in a number of areas is poor.  It really does explain a lot of things.

So in future I'm going to try and enjoy things and not see them as a chore.  I'll remember "You get out what you put in", "Nothing ventured nothing gained" and of course "Life is a journey, not a destination".

Comments

Popular Posts