Mr Rat - My Teacher

These days I'm more inclined to accept my faults.  I've learned to stop trying to prove I am perfect.  Pretending to be perfect doesn't make you perfect.  However, recently I observed the flip-side to this understanding.  I need to not only accept my faults and fears but confront them too.

For me, it seems I really, really didn't want to go into the roof of my home.  Naturally there is the usual creepy crawlies etc, but I had also attached this chore to my financial decisions (or indecisions).  You see, one of the perks of renting is you don't do house maintenance.  And not having to crawl into the roof validated my choice to rent.

So upon hearing a dreadful noise coming from the wall I went into denial about having to deal with what I assumed was a rat.  The necessity to crawl into the roof also brought into question my decision to not buy my own house (let's not go there). It's amazing how things are related.  The sound of a rat chewing at my wall is like the thread on the knitted sweater that, when pulled, unravels the whole garment.

The concept is the same as a view of the world I read in a self-help book recently.  It stated that life's dramas are not so much a never-ending series of problems but rather learning experiences.  The world will continue to try and administer the same important lesson until we learn it.

I had a similar concept in software development some time ago around 'technical debt' or 'excess complexity'.  Cataloging it is useful but even if you don't know where it is you don't need to go looking for it.  It will find you the next time you maintain the software.  All you have to do is know it is there and be sensitive to the pain it will cause.

So I guess it's time to accept my poor decisions of the past and perhaps correct them.  Thank you Mr Rat.

Comments

Popular Posts