Risk - Wear Protection

I had one of those Thank you Jesus moments the other night.  I fell really heavy on my wrist and elbow but suffered no injury because I was wearing protection.  It is so important to wear protection.  My wrist isn't the best because I fell on it a lot when I used to Rollerblade.

Bad Scuff

Side View Of Hinges
Top & Bottom
Wrist Guard / Brace


My wrist guards are quite unusual.  They have a hinge and are more like a brace than your typical plastic insert style wrist guard.  I've never seen them before or since buying them.  Maybe they were discontinued because they didn't protect properly?  That's not been my experience.  They saved me on a few occasions.

Risk is an interesting topic.  It creeps in everywhere and is something most people are prepared to live with.  It becomes apparent only when things go bad.  I am acutely aware of it.  Maybe it's because I'm a computer programmer and my job is about looking for possibly dangerous scenarios.  I even think I take it too far.

For instance, I stay away from phone and Internet contracts.  I buy unlocked phones and use pre-paid.  I don't drink coffee because I abhor substance dependency... life is difficult enough.  And I'm serious about my health and workspace ergonomics.  Excessive complexity is something I avoid too... one less thing to go wrong at the worst time.  Facebook to me is like a genie waiting to get out of a bottle.  I rent my home.

On the other hand.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I'll have to go out on a limb eventually I guess.  If everyone else is sacrificing control to get ahead then I have to do the same in order to compete.  And even if I don't, I'm really in the same boat as everyone else. EG. My country is in a lot of debt because the government 'stimulated' the economy to protect those with big mortgages. (Not cynical much!)

Anyway, make sure you have protection.  Especially for high consequence occurrences.

Comments

Popular Posts