Unicycle Adventures

Ahh... today I rotated the tyre on my unicycle 90 degrees because it doesn't wear uniformly. I think I have a new past time.

I've been using the second hand unicycle quite regularly for nearly 2 1/2 months and I'm really making progress. I can almost idle and can ride backward for short periods. I can string together 2 or 3 small bunny hops too.

I don't have anyone else to compare skills so I was pretty happy with my progress. That is until I saw the IUF skills ratings. Holy cow that is difficult. With some effort, I might pass the second level (10 levels total).

I'm also considering buying another unicycle and it would be easy to spend nearly $500. It was then that I asked Where am I going with this? I'm not sure. I'm no expert, it's not a fantastic mode of transport, it's not a popular sport. But then that is the nature of a hobby, it's not meant to go somewhere. I just enjoy it. But I might hold off on the $500 unicycle.

Here are a few more tips from the last few months...

Buy Protective Equipment
I had a nasty fall and was lucky I didn't crack the back of my head on the road. It would have been spectacular to watch as I toppled backward like a tree being felled. I was trying to go backward and my feet got caught up in the pedals. Soooo lucky I didn't break anything. I don't remember the last time I fell and had absolutely no control over the impact.

Shortly after that session I started wearing a helmet and elbow pads, and resumed wearing my wrist braces. Now I use them without fail.

Look The Part
The equipment makes you look and feel more serious about what you are doing too.  I also wear a bandanna under my helmet for hygiene which I think looks good too.

Physiotherapists Rock (and Don't Let Injuries Go Untreated)
Well, good ones are anyway. I was having problems with knee discomfort and I learned I had a tight ITB and under use of my medial thigh muscles. He also diagnosed my weak lower back and I had him look at my neck which I injured in a car accident about 10 years ago and has been giving me constant discomfort. I'm now well on my way to recovery on all three.

I'd visited physio's before but they are quite hit and miss. I thought I'd seen a good one a few years back but he didn't find my neck / back issues... If nothing else, unicycling has been the impetus to getting my spinal issues treated.

Warm Up
I think I've avoided many injuries by always warming up.

Sretch Afterward
A flexible limb is a stronger limb and helps avoid injuries. As an illustration, think of tight muscles as like wearing a wetsuit while surfing. The elastic resistance reduces your net strength. (And if you don't surf regularly like I used to, you'll appreciate how valuable that strength is)

After exercise is the best time to stretch, but don't overdo it.

Symmetry Of Skills
Practice your weak side until you no longer have a weak side.

Go Somewhere
I usually practice outside my complex but when I decided to ride a couple klms to my sisters place I learned a LOT. You feel like a bit of a freak but hey, I knew that going into this sport.

Things I learned:
  • I don't know how to dismount gracefully
  • Free swinging bags don't work well on a unicycle
  • Even the smallest curb is a giant obstacle to a novice on a 20" unicycle
  • Don't let your speed get away from you on the downhills (I actually learned this one the hard way while rollerblading )
Discretion During Mount
Males need to adjust the tackle before mounting. I try to be discrete about this as it looks pretty... distasteful. What I do is I use the side of my wrist on the same hand that is holding the saddle front. With my other had I hike up my shorts a little to distract any wouldbe onlookers from my saddle hand. I try to do this when I'm alone to get in the habit.  Yes this is only a theory.

Comments

Popular Posts