Unicycle Diary

So I'm learning to ride unicycle.  It seems like a convenient, inexpensive, low-impact past-time that is somewhat exclusive on account of the steep learning curve.  It might also be a short distance transport, like when I need to travel a few blocks and I'm late.

After nearly 10 hours of learning the results are pretty good.  I can travel forward in a straight line pretty consistently, and can turn a little, but inconsistently.  It is very satisfying when you finally travel more than a few metres.  It is a very strenuous activity, well at least when you're learning.  I expect I'll get much more efficient with experience.

I started by reading a few paragraphs online, which may not have been the best move.  A couple sessions in I looked up some online videos which helped a little.  I find that explaining how to ride a unicycle is very difficult.  And those that are doing it are experts that learned quite some time ago and overlook a number of import subtleties that probably seem obvious to them.


Here are a few things to remember when learning to unicycle:
Steep Learning Curve
You cannot learn on the first try.  Riding a unicycle is complicated and involves a lot of reflex movements which take time to develop.  Most sites say it takes about 10-15 hours to learn so even if you tackle it in 1 hour sessions it will take 10 sessions.  By the way, an hour of learning to unicycle is a very good workout.

Physically, Mentally, Emotionally Strenuous
Warm up before each session.  I like to jog lightly for 5-10 minutes, forwards, backwards and side to side.  Don't kid yourself about how difficult it is.  Stay positive and think of how satisfying it will be once you learn.  Don't give up, just keep thinking "I've put X hours into this and I'm not giving up now."  And try to think about what you're doing right or wrong. Take note of the progress you are making to keep up your morale. Analyze the physics and reflexes at play.

Take Precautions
You will fall down.  I was glad I had training in how to fall and roll from martial arts.  If you've not had such training or experience it would be good to get some pointers and do some practice.  The wrist guards came in handy at times too.

Power Dead Spot
Maybe it is just me, but I have trouble dealing with the "power dead spot" at the point the cranks are vertical.  I find I usually topple off if I get caught in this position.  I think it explains the relatively jerky movements of a unicycle rider and adds a great deal of complexity to riding.

In addition to the pointers offered on various online videos and websites, I learned the following:
  • Learning on plush grass helps avoid injuries
  • Seat height is very important.  Buying a longer seat post was a very good investment
  • You need to keep weight on both feet and saddle to maintain control
  • When bailing off, you need to distinctly lift feet off pedals.  Saying 'bail' aloud can help
  • You need to develop reflexes.  I found it beneficial to listen to podcasts to distract my mind
  • Maintain breathing, relax and try to maintain the 'neutral' position (arms out sideways, sitting upright) while riding
  • Online videos can be motivating.  I saw a video about distance riding at the 3 hour mark and it freshened my resolve
  • Beware mistake fixation.  At about 6 hours I hit a stagnant point until I focused on a goal such as reaching a patch of grass 15 metres away.

One last link: Kris Holm (gets very 'interesting' at 2:20)

Comments

Popular Posts